Old 07-24-22, 10:56 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Watching that downhill pass by Pidcock, ha.
Being smart about navigating a turning/twisting route can definitely put a rider ahead of the competition, that would be a whole thread in itself though. I used to be a big motorcycle road-racing fan, and rode motorcycles a lot fast around paved turns with my knee down close to the ground. There are some good books on motorcycle road-racing that show lines through turns, and which talk about navigating twists and turns in a road, also in books about automobile racing too. I am sure a lot of cyclists never think much about gaining time where there are sharp turns in a course, but I always have because of my background in fast motor vehicles. It does not matter if the twisting road is on a hill though, the gains can be made very well on the flat. In the TT a few weeks ago there were a number of turns from one road to another, and places where the route curved, on flats and on hills, and despite not knowing the course as well as I should, I may have had an edge in the turns staying on the inside and being able to keep speed up around sharp corners by clipping apexes and making the turns wider so they could be taken at higher speeds safely.