Thread: TdF Femmes
View Single Post
Old 07-26-22, 09:35 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I love it. Women's cycling is growing up. (The races still have some catching up to do. The women are fully capable of riding the men's courses. To limit them to 1/2 to 2/3s the distance and half the stages is demeaning.) Hearing that one of the front runners had to stop for (I'm guessing) a plumbing emergency and still finishing just a little back despite being sick, that's classic TdF as has been played out forever. Having a true GOAT (who's had to settle for second twice). (The quick answer from Mark Cavendish last year when asked who's the greatest racing now.)
I don't know if the women can race the distances that men race. But the shorter courses and the smaller number of stages are deliberate marketing decisions, rather than about the women's stamina. The shorter stages make for punchier races and the 8 stages are less expensive to pull off and better for holding the audiences attention.

They need to build the audience. They need to attract sponsors.

Also, beginning right after the TdF hommes was also a good marketing decision, as the attention is focused on France and there is a traditional lull for the men between the TdF and the Vuelta. I think they are off to a great start.

They need some charismatic stars. A female Peter Sagan, MvdP, Cav, etc.. They have some great racers, though some of the best (Vos, Van Vleuten) are nearing the ends of their careers. Vollering, Kopecky, Longo Borghini are great racers, but among them I don't see a breakout media star.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-27-22 at 05:40 AM.