cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
... Current bike 2017 Roubaix Elite. I've upgraded the wheels to Reynolds AR42s (worth it).

I've been looking for a new bike for a couple years now, but due to the pandemic and my size, I'm typically the largest frame available at 6'6, so a 60, 61 or 62 is usually needed and as a result there just hasn't been anything locally. Things are showing signs of improving so I'm hopeful I can get something before next riding season. I also found out a client of mine at work has connections at Trek and has access to their national inventory as well as builds, so I could have a way of getting something in my size which is great to hear.
A little about me - I ride a fair amount, I'll log somewhere around 8,000 miles this year. My FTP fluctuates between 300-330 watts but I'm 6'6 and 185lbs so that's not that impressive. I will be doing some work this winter via trainer road to hopefully get up to 350-360w. My point is I'm not the fast dude in the corral but I'm also not terribly slow. I hang in just fine with A group rides and can do long sustained pulls relatively well.

I've been leaning towards an aero bike because of the additional benefit I think it would provide. But many of the "normal" or "race" frames have aero profiles now and are far better than bikes even 3 years ago.
... Where I live it's not uncommon to have winds of 15-20mph, sometimes higher. Cross winds are a real thing here for much of the year. In the entire month of April we had two days with winds below 20mph, yea that was usually windy but 10-15 is very common in April and May.
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Based on your reading your biggest gain will be the bike's stack/reach and bar width combo given you claim you are eating so much air.
Aero frames may have gains, at high speeds and riding alone, but not on the magnitude of getting a frame that gets you a bike fit that allows you to be more aero on the bike yourself.
So, pay attention to the stack/reach and included handlebar width figures as much as you're looking at aero frames. IMO, ymmv, standard disclaimer stuff.
OP, Pretty much what 'burnthesheep' has pointed out.
The biggest gain you're gonna get is from your own position... and less so from the bike and parts. But, it's ok to get the marginal gains from the bike.
This was posted in another thread - emphasizes the importance of a position as wind resistance becomes more important - obviously from your post, a factor.
UCI Banned Road Bike Position Aerodynamics - it's really illustrative of the most common positions/postures, even outside of the 'banned' positions, on the aero of each... nice summary with numbers.
I haven't used deep cross-section aero wheelsets much (just for TT, which I don;t do much at all), but those whom I ride with say the most impacted they felt with crosswinds, were due to 50+mm deep wheels, hardly any comments on the 'frame'... So maybe some well designed 40 ish wheels might be a good compromise... which might impact on bike choice ?
Nice 'toroidal' design wheels would be a big complement..
Otherwise, I would consider your current Bike, the Roubaix, and think about what it is in that design which might make YOU more Aero, and still comfortable enough to do a whole ride in the best comfy/aero position you can achieve (or want to achieve). Then look at the bikes you have available to you, and see what matches best.
I like this site for comparing and considering bike/frame differences - very informative... especially using the 'Comparison engine'.
GeometryGeeks - pick your roubaix for comparisons with what you're considering.
another chance for 'analysis paralysis'.... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri