View Single Post
Old 09-22-22, 06:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I wasn't trying to be harsh at you, but I think when you started describing abnormal pain that doesn't go away with rest, you are really asking us to a) diagnose you and b) suggest cures or treatment. That's medical advice, whether or not it's based on our personal anecdotes.

This isn't necessarily an ortho problem at this point, btw, and it might make sense to discuss this with a GP. I will tell you that when I had my first leg blood clot, I had to insist on an ultrasound, the doctor said he ordered it just to humor me, and the ultrasound found a really large clot the doctor was sure wouldn't be there. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you have blood clots, just that sometimes you need to be a bit pushy in convincing a doctor something is not normal.
I was born with a congenital heart defect. It was of a type that might have required corrective surgery later in life. When my heart started acting up at age 25 (when I was in the best shape of my life), one cardiologist I was seeing at the university hospital in Pittsburgh was sure there was nothing seriously wrong despite the folks at the children's hospital saying "We see this from time to tome. Give him a cath." I could tell something was seriously wrong. Instead, they did a series of non-invasive tests after each test suggested I needed the next one. They even had me see a shrink to assess whether it was stress from law school. (it wasn't.) They finally said "We think you need to have a cath." The night before the cath the aforementioned cardiologist told me he didn't think the cath would turn up anything serious. The day after the cath the chief cardiologist came to see me along with Dr. Know it All and said "You need to have surgery within a year or you could suffer permanent heart damage. It supremely gratifying to look at Dr. Know it All and literally say "Told you so." No way I was going to wait a year. I had the surgery a couple of weeks before the start of my third year.