View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 12:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackm08
Which inevitably leads us back to replacing the seat post which is not an option due to availability. From your comment, it assumes that the seat post is the issue, and if so, there are no guarantees that a replacement seat post would resolve the issue as it too may be badly machined?

Barry2's suggestion to upgrade the bolt seems a logical one. If a bolt is strong enough for a bulldozer surely it would keep a 150lb rider on a bike?

Am I missing something?
Some companies, and their contractors, do a better job at matching the aero post and seat tube and associated clamp shapes and dimensions, others less so. I can't offer many options to brand/design specific products when no one else offers an alternative. Nor can I agree with bikes having non round seat posts. What I can do is to help you understand why the bolt likely broke. Sorry if that effort wasn't enough.

I never said anything about the smarts or stupidity of going to higher grade bolts. But trying that to me is a no brainer if one can find a suitable higher grade one (and hopefully the bolt isn't also non standard in it's design). Andy