View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 08:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
Yes, the grip shifter was nearly impossible to turn. "indeterminate number of coarse clicks" is a good description. A lot of the bikes in our inventory are cheap department store bikes. They can be quite unpleasant to work on.

Thanks everybody for the education. I'll the SRAM a try and hope for the best.
Trying to fix up that pair to a safe enough condition to sell w/ good conscience, got me into wheel truing.
The brake calipers had so much flex, the wheel had to be near perfectly true so the pads could be very close to the rim to keep from running out of lever travel
Found some SAE? threaded fasteners where you would expect Metric. (Lowest bid for "some screws")
I was able to use some cheapo friction shifters off a slightly better bike from the used parts bin.
They were still an overweight sow's ear. They aren't worth the time/effort if you have other bikes to fix.
I simply wouldn't touch them after that, I wouldn't even strip one for parts. Why bother putting crappy parts on something you're trying to make dependable, safe & functional?
I think I'd rather have a can of Kroger coffee than a Huffy.