View Single Post
Old 11-01-19, 04:43 PM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Frame No 3

I am now starting to plan frame No 3 and have decided it is to be a long distance hill climbing machine. I have booked to ride the Raid Alpine next September which has motivated me to get started and gives me plenty of time to get it finished.

Frame No 2 has been great to ride so I am sticking with the same geometry and fork but plan to reduce the size of the top tube and seat tube from 2OS to OS. This is to soften the ride and will let me use a nice lightweight 27.2 titanium seatpost that I have to make things real comfy. HT will be 36 , DT 35 and stays will probably be Columbus Life again. All main tubes will be 8/5/8 or very close

I am a bit undecided how to join the tubes as matching lugs for the HT/TT 36/28.6 and ST/TT 28.6/28.6 junctions are not available for a sloping top tube. BBKT and DT/HT lugs are. It is a shame the Llewllyn lugs cannot be mixed and matched!

I am thinking maybe build it like this:

Make sleeves for the head tube (full length) and the top end of the seat tube
Fillet braze (with brass) the DT and TT to the sleeves.
Cut and shape the sleeves so you have a TT with a 'lug' at both ends and a DT with a 'lug' at the HT end.
Assemble the above with a HT and ST and conventional BBKT Lug and silver it all together.

Is it possible/worthwhile making the frame this way? what can go wrong? Has it been done this way before?

I am hoping it will allow me to use fillet joints without too much distortion in the head tube or seat tube. It should also make it easier to file and smooth the fillets.

Thanks

Mike