View Single Post
Old 10-15-20, 04:07 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Alright.

I hadn't thought I'd participate in the Challenge this year.

Wife and I freed up a chunk of time next month by hiring a painter for our porch, instead of doing it ourselves.

So, more time (Yay!) and less money (Boo!). I can fit in one project bike. A 1995 Diamondback Joker:

Pulled this off a trash heap in 2019. It had been sitting outside for a while and I think it had spent some amount of time underwater. The wheels and bottom bracket were seized. The headset was surprisingly ok. Let's say it's worth $30.

But that drab charcoal gray is just too... bleh. - it needs a splash of color:

I have another set of wheels to toss on it, let's say $20 for them, along with $10 for some parts bin tires and tubes. Freewheel's currently soaking in paint thinner. I'll need pedals, grips, front brake housing, and a seat, all from from the parts bin, so another $15 there.

Reusing the original bars, stem, headset, cable detangler, rear brake, rear brake cable, cranks, and chainring. Not sure about brake levers, I may have tossed them,

I also have no idea how I'm going to ride 62 miles on this.
Got everything all together and have been buzzing around the neighborhood:

I've gotten 10-ish miles behind me so far. At least my neighbors think "fat old man on a kid's bike" is amusing, rather than creepy.

Another 52 miles is going to be a real challenge to get in on this thing.