View Single Post
Old 11-11-20, 12:45 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have a helmet camera and a tail camera pointing behind me mounted on the rear rack(s). I have also used handlebar mount hanging upside down, and as of this year I am using a 360° action camera on a shoulder mount.

It doesn't really make me feel safer, but I feel more prepared in case of a crash or other incident to know that I have evidence in support of my version of events.

I have used the handlebar mount and a cheap no-name action camera to record my own crash in a hit-and-run where I was struck from behind by a pickup truck. Because it was on the handlebar, it didn't capture the plate nor the driver, but the video was instrumental in multiple insurance claims and for the responding police officer in his incident report. I purchased a new camera and mounted it to my helmet after this hit-and-run, so the camera records where I look. I also added the tail camera after the crash.

I have used the videos I recorded while riding my bicycle to report 2 traffic incidents to local PD. The drivers in both cases sideswiped me out of the adjacent bike lane while I was present, forcing me to swerve out of their path. Both drivers were identified and issued a warning after the officers reviewed the video(s).

I have also used the videos recorded while driving a car to support auto insurance claims when I was rear-ended, because I use the same cameras as dashcams.

I like Sony brand action cameras due to their low-light video performance, high bitrate, video and color quality, image stabilization, and frame rate. Sony cameras have short battery life, so I carry spares and have a charger. Yes, that's a hassle. Go Pro Hero Black 5 & up are solid performers, and I'd probably recommend them. I would consider the GoPro Max & Fusion for my own use, but I would recommend the Black line in general.

The 360° camera is very useful and it's pretty neat, but it's more difficult to manage the video files for editing and so forth. I use a Xiaomi MiSphere, aka: MADV Madventure 360/Mijia, a Sony FDR-X3000, and a Xiaomi Yi Lite(rear came on bike and rear window in the car).

Last edited by dragoonO1; 11-11-20 at 12:54 PM.