Old 02-26-21, 02:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since my January post I've added better shoes as my conditioning improved to the point that I could run 5 miles continuously without walking.

I still generally prefer adidas because they fit my narrow feet so well and are cheap at discounters like Ross and Marshalls. In January I added a pair of adidas Solar Boost with moderate thickness Boost soles, and adidas Adizero Prime, with a thinner Boost sole that appears to be intended mainly for shorter runs, up to a 5k or maybe 10k. Both are very good and cost only around $30 each (heavily discounted 2018 models).

But a couple of weeks ago I tried a pair of 2018 Under Armour Hovr Sonics, also $30, and like them better than the adidas Boost. It's lighter, firmer and more responsive without sacrificing comfort on my usual runs of 2-7 miles.

Based on input from other runners with narrow feet like mine, I'm planning to try Nike Pegasus (the Peg 37 gets good reviews) and perhaps the new startup Atreyu shoes, which offers custom shoes at a deep discount on a subscription basis.

I think Atreyu shoes cost $95 for a one time purchase and $75 with subscription. It's an interesting business model, operated by a running enthusiast. Rather than competing with branding like Boost, FreshFoam, etc., they use state of the art generic EVA soles, no additional rubber tread, just a hardening application to extend the life of the shoe to about 200 miles. After that point, the Atreyu owner says most shoe soles are breaking down and flattening out, losing their responsiveness, even when the uppers and rubber tread appears to have plenty of life remaining. So to save money they skip the frills and concentrate on comfortable, well fitting uppers and proven EVA soles designed to be worn only for the optimal life of the shoe. Then the company sends the subscriber a fresh pair of shoes. I'm not sure how the subscription is billed. But it's an interesting option for folks who run a lot and prefer to continue using the same shoe, but with a fresh sole and upper. The shoe looks pretty much like the adidas Boston and Nike Pegasus lineup, so it should be suitable for running up to marathon distances.

I'd consider Atreyu, but I'm still early in my base conditioning and still exploring shoes to decide what I want. So for now I'll keep shopping at Ross and Marshall and buy whatever serious running shoes they have from unsold new/old stock for around $30. The only tricky bit to this kind of thing is that many adidas shoes are lifestyle/fashion shoes. They look like running shoes, but aren't. So whenever I shop I Google reviews on my phone before buying. Last time I shopped for shoes a couple of weeks ago I went through six different pairs of adidas that *looked* suitable for running, but were just lifestyle/fashion shoes with weird stuff like laces that can't be properly tightened, or silly cosmetic doodads made of plastic that add weight but no performance, and sometimes jabbed my ankles or Achilles tendons. I was about to give up for the day when I noticed the single pair of Under Armour Hovr Sonics in my size, which turned out to be excellent running shoes.