Thread: Dogs.
View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 05:31 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I don’t know anyone that can ride fast enough to outrun a dog on a climb. You need to be going 20+ mph for a little longer distance than you might think.

I’ve had a lot of canine interactions. I don’t mind the dogs running alongside and barking. The only issue with those is if they are running out in the road and a vehicle comes along. I’ve seen two dogs get hit by vehicles doing that.

What I don’t like are dogs that nip at my ankles nor dogs that dance back and forth in front of my bike. I’ve been bitten on a climb and got animal control involved.

I’ve even had a dog bite and try and grab my front wheel on a climb. Having a dog biting your front wheel while riding is pretty scary…..

I’ve tried a lot off things but haven’t found anything that really works in every situation. Yelling commands works for some. Spraying water works for some. Loud whistles also work for some. But I’m not sure if there is anything that works on the really aggressive dogs other than pepper spray and firearms.

Dogs will also be more aggressive on their property and also when the owners are present .