View Single Post
Old 08-16-21, 12:04 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Before I had retired my former employer with a large parking lot for employees was located at the corner of two very busy streets. One of the streets was a diamond lane for buses, bicycles, taxis, commercial vehicles and private vehicles with three or more people.

Every morning when I entered the parking lot from the diamond lane at the north east with my bike, I would see the same car trailing behind me and then it would exit the parking lot at the south side westbound. Being a car, it would sometime speed up and pass me while other employees were getting out of their cars and into the building.

Once I had called security to monitor trespassers because they would pose a risk to other employees.

They basically said no.

On another occasion, one of the bike trails I take has and entrance/exit through private property. It's marked on the map that that was an entrance. One winter, the snow clearing had piled up all the snow right in line of the bike trail. I called the city, who called the owners but basically the response was that it's private property and there's nothing that can be done. Nevermind, that blocking an entrance to a bike trail would force cyclists to use the adjacent road instead of the trail.

So it all depends.
If it's an apartment building complex, who can determine if other residences cycle through there too? If it's commercial property, who can determine if other employees cycle through there?

And finally, what property owner can go through the process to ban its own patrons and employees from bicycling?

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-16-21 at 12:07 PM.