Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I stand in 1 all the time. I believe it only can go neutral in 2 or 3. My brother has stitches to prove it, and I have the bike with a replacement fork and crank arm...

Aaron
I really think that if an AW is set up properly it will not skip under normal conditions and even under high pedaling loads but when you stand up and hammer the pedals you get a little frame flex and this is probably enough to change the cable tension enough to cause it to slip.

On my old 3 speed road bike I managed to get it up to 56 kmh on a flat run and got it to skip a little in 3rd when I tried to push the bike up to 60 kmh... and I was seated.

I have never had any of my other three speeds skip gears on me... making sure that everything is set up properly and that the shifter is working smoothly and does not hang between gear positions.

One should check the cable tension regularly... my 10 year old likes to jump curbs on her three speed and has knocked her wheel out of place by just enough to throw off her shifting. Better lock washers solved this issue and I have told her she needs to be a little nicer to her bike.
Likes For Sixty Fiver: