Old 07-12-21, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
OK, I'm going to stir the you-know-what a bit. You went to an LBS instead of embarking on the research and didn't have the know how to do it yourself. Please understand, this is not a criticism on my part, but just to say that I will assume you paid more for this set up than you would have had you spent the time and effort to do it yourself. A fair exchange, had they given you what you paid for.

You reasonably expected expertise and you were willing to pay for it to get the job done right with a minimum of hassle and uncertainty on your part. And, you clearly explained your goal at the beginning, and you again clearly when you picked it up.

I feel you were very poorly served and actually misled when you picked up the wheels. There was an actual cost to you of their poor service, maybe not in terms of money, but in terms of objective, significant avoidable hassle to you and your rescuer. You will need to deal with them as your personality sees fit, but anger would be a reasonable response. This is just a very incompetent, poor service by the company and they need to make it right and in some way compensate you for their misleading you and the significant cost / hassle you experienced on the trail. In no way did they give you what you paid for and would reasonably expect. I would be pissed if they turned around and charged me anything to properly set up the wheels and tires tubeless, including giving you some free sealant for future use.

I won't call them a poor excuse for a shop or that they ripped you off, but it's close, imho. But an example of why LBS's aren't always worth what they and their supporters claim.
You realize you have only heard one side of the story and don't know what is true or not true. I am not calling the OP a liar but since we only have one side of the story we may not want to pass judgement on the LBS.

If you didn't pay for a tubeless set up then nothing to complain about, if you did pay for a full tubeless set up and all the parts to go along with it including valves, tape and sealant and none of that was installed then I would head back down and have them complete the job. The receipt will tell us and you quite a bit about what happened. Most wheels including stuff that is tubeless ready from the factory comes with tubes installed because guess what a bike that sits for a while in different changing conditions with fluid inside is likely to leak and make a mess and you don't want a tubeless mess on your brand new bike out of the box.