Old 02-18-21, 10:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I kind of want to make sure now the discussion stays with "real world" power. I think Zwift is so full of crap it can't be trusted for this discussion.

Case in point.....
So, just this week I was on Zwift doing an hour long sweetspot/threshold level interval. I was doing 265w nonstop on Richmond "fan flats". Avg speed on the road bike with the draft during this time was about 24mph or so. 265w being 3.75w/kg. As people pass you can see the color of the workout "zone" and see the power on the display as they pass. Then the board on the right shows their w/kg, so you can work out the weight. You can also see a symbol if they're doing a workout with erg mode by a symbol.

During that ride I pass a rider in a rest part of an interval, I assume. I think the color was grey. I glance and see they're doing like 230w in Z1. I think, whoa nelly, that's a lot of Z1 power. So, I workout the weight from their w/kg and they're between 220 and 240lbs.

They get into a work interval and the color changes to one of the non-VO2 zones but not tempo. Green? Yellow? As they pass I couldn't see the power.......but suddenly it's saying 5.3w/kg. They did this long enough to LAP ME on the fan flats course. So, like over 530w for over 20min. Possibly. They disappeared from the board, then reappeared behind me still at the same figures.

Not Zwift power with a curve on your fluid trainer, real meter.

Bull crap.

So, I disqualify Zwift from this discussion. I trust nothing I see on there any longer. Period. So, all the folks routinely doing 300w for 35, 45min at 100kg plus on Zwift..........I will say disqualified from counting. Same for 60kg folks on Zwift. Can't trust it.
Likes For burnthesheep: