Old 09-10-21, 10:11 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I’d suggest you look at your LBS or at REI website to see what’s available below $30. While I get that we all have budgets, do be prepared to expand your budget if it seems appropriate to ensure your safety.

remember also that brightness figures can be misleading. Does the light focus all its output into a narrow cone to inflate its lumen value, leaving you with lesser visibility to vehicles not directly behind you? Or does it have a wide swath of substantial light output helping your visibility in a curvy road scenario?

This should get you started, then go see them in person.

https://www.rei.com/c/rear-bike-ligh...sort=min-price
Because lights can easily be broken or lost, IMO multiple cheaper lights are better than one expensive light, provided they work well. I also like to use more than one taillight at the same time lest one dies unpredictably during a ride. I used to buy cheap lights from Chinese online sellers such as on ebay, but many of them, while bright, were poorly built and the charging socket break easily when I pulled out the charging cable. The one I've been using is this model, but the modes are too fancy and irritating.

Thanks for the link. Have you used any of those lights?

Originally Posted by msalvetti
Is there such a thing as a rear light that is too bright, especially at night? I just wonder if some of the more powerful rear lights might have a lot of glare and cause a driver to have to look away. Especially us older drivers that might be more sensitive to glare.
My observation of others tells me that bright tail light in solid mode is pretty good, very visible without irritating others.
Likes For vol: