Old 10-23-21, 03:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Without seeing this thread I just did two days of research with a similar budget. LOTS of candidates. I am interested in daylight capability for one reason: I have a recumbent and I would like to avoid using a flag. I should imagine 100lm is ENOUGH to accomplish that. For years I have used PB Superflashes on upright bikes and inevitably they fail in some way after a few months. More than one has separated from itself because of a hard knock or bounced out of its clip.

Horizontal clips are very useful. I have an Ascent commuter headlight/tailight combo that has a horizontal clip for the taillight but it is not meant for performance. I have the light but not its clip. What I have bought was Portland Design Works's 'Danger Zone' twin (0.5W) LED flasher. $30 and free shipping because I bought a couple of other things. The horizontal clip was $6.00. PDW and Planet Bike mounting hardware tends to be compatible. FWIW.

BTW I've always favored MagicShine headlights, but the next time I am in the market I plan to look at the Cygolite 800lm offering. If Cygolites are winding up in landfill's so are Lupine Tesla's and Busch and Mueller whatevers. Nothing is immune from failure and it is what it is. I'm not going to be shamed into buying crazy expensive European lighting equipment because it really isn't all that much better as to justify the outlier pricing.