Old 11-10-21, 06:22 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lbholla
I bought this bike from a local bike shop, used but expensive (for my budget). It was a splurge purchase that I had hoped would help me gain confidence, but so far it hasn't helped. The guy who sold it to me didn't really seem to understand my needs as an unconfident adult rider. I've been at the stage of riding a bike around a parking lot for 20 years, spent many hours and days trying to build up my confidence, but I still don't feel comfortable even on a straight wide bike path (what if someone comes from the other direction! what if someone ahead of me stops short!). Maybe I'm too much of a nervous nelly for bikes? or maybe I have bad balance.. or maybe I've only ever had bad fitting bikes.. I just don't know! All I know is that I can't waste much more money or time on it without seeing any progress. I wish I could join my kids on bike trails and family expeditions! I have noticed that when my kids learned, they gained a lot of confidence on bikes that were technically too small for them. They were able to touch the ground easily with both feet (not heels) while on the seat, and use their bikes like glide bikes without engaging the peddles. With my current bike, I can only barely touch the ground with one tip toe while on the seat, so I slam the breaks hard when I want to stop (so that the force of the braking pushes me nearly off the seat and I can touch the ground more fully) - I don't feel that I can safely stop without doing this. The weight of the bike (it's heavy and cumbersome) and myself (short but stout) is maybe too much for that one little tip toe that can reach the ground? I constantly feel like I'm one inch from disaster on this bike.
I read the OP's original post and this comment a couple times, and while many have commented on sizing, bike choice and such, I have a slightly different take. Yes, I'd think the bike is a bit big (I'm an inch taller and ride a smaller MTB) BUT what is being described to me is not a bike fit issue. It is a riding/coaching issue. Good news: this can be fixed. My ideal situation would be this: look for your local bike club and contact them. Explain the situation as you described here and ask for help. I don't know where you live, but unless it's the absolute middle of nowhere there should be a bike group. I'm willing to bet there's (ideally) a lady rider in the group who could ride some with you who can give you pointers on proper riding, working then towards proper seat height and such, which at this stage you absolutely do not have. After all, there's not likely a bike club around that doesn't want to encourage and educate more riders. My local club does beginner rides, for just that purpose. Reaching out here is good, but from reading what you say, this is a situation handled best in an in person situation. Pictures of you on your bike could help diagnose, but I stick by y suggestion. Failing that, a good friend who is an experienced rider who can ride with you, in some nice comfortable area, and help you with the riding skills would be next best option, IMHO.

Confidence comes with small successes that build on each other.

Eric