Old 12-11-21, 04:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by grnmasi
We have seen that difference on both longer and shorter rides. Although the consistent difference (rather than a random difference due to precision) bothered me a bit, I just attributed it to differences in the pairing of the computers with the different sensors on the two bikes.

But recently I was able to compare both computers paired with the exact same sensors (Garmin Speed/Cadence 2) on my bike for close to a dozen rides. The difference of 0.2 to 0.4 miles (Bolt always lower) on a 25 mile remain still remains even using the same bike and paired sensors. I really don't have a possible explanation except that it is something regarding the difference in the autocalibrate functions on the two computers. I guess the next thing to try when I get a chance to ride is to enter a fixed and same value for the wheel calibration for both computers and see what happens.
The sensors just transmit wheel rotations. It’s not likely to be the sensors.

I believe the Garmins measure the wheel circumference at the beginning of every ride.

You should try the two computers on the same bike.

Originally Posted by grnmasi

In the meantime, any ideas on what is causing the difference? In reality, I don't know which is "correct".
They are both “correct” with some error.

They both might be “wrong”. That is, one might not be more correct than the other.

All you really know is that they are different.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-21 at 05:06 PM.