Old 04-08-21, 05:30 PM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 21 Posts
Why give up the recumbent? I choose to use to use an upright or a recumbent on appropriate courses.

Originally Posted by downtube42
After 10 years, ~35,000km of randonneuring on a recumbent, with multiple 1200s, I'm giving it a go on an upright bike, with the goal of completing PBP in 2023. It's a work in progress, to be sure. I've said it a few times about my upright rando friends: they finish a brevet tired and sore, while I finish it tired. My turn to address the soreness issues. Thus far I've completed about a half-dozen 200k rides, with a few issues to resolve. Low back pain, hand numbness, and saddle discomfort.

I've been finishing these 200ks with quite a bit of low back pain. The last couple hours are pretty much dominated by back discomfort. A moment off the bike, stretching, helps for a short time. I've not had success stretching while on the bike. Back in my 30's, when I switched to a recumbent, low back pain was the issue. At 60 my back is far better than in those days, but this is definitely issue #1. It must be resolved if I'm going to do anything longer than a 400k.

A distant second is hand numbness and pain, particularly my left hand. It comes on as early as 30 miles in; I rest my left hand behind my back for a moment for relief. I've measured carefully, and the bars are straight. Everything is even on the bike, as closely as I can tell. Maybe my body isn't left/right symmetric. I might try offsetting the bars by a few mm and see what that does.

Saddles. Jeez, this isn't my favorite part of an upright bike. My Selle Anatomica seems like the most comfortable saddle I've every used, and a moment out of the saddle from time to time takes the edge off. I don't think there's anything to do here except saddle time and see what a fitter says.

May 1st is a 300k.