View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 11:11 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Well unfortunately this is sort of where you go down the rabbit hole…… yes on first glance it indeed shows that the three groups offer different speeds but it’s highly unlikely the difference ends there.

Weight
Compatibility with other groupsets or manufacturers Shimano/SRAM
Finish
Brake design
Brifter material
Crank Arm options
Chainring options
etc……

and then to further confuse things there could be differences from one generation to the next so it can become rather involved. I can only claim to have a very loose grasp of the topic so rely heavily on my LBS which employs three incredible mechanics that seem to know EVERYTHING.

However if I would offer one bit of advice/experience with Shimano is that nothing below 105 will work well for long if you really start putting in some miles and don’t overlook used groupsets as many riders will upgrade lightly used mechanical DuraAce for Electronic shifting so deals can be found.

I’ve ridden a number of bikes with Shimano, SRAM and Campy (my favorite) and at least to me, their best groups feel and operate much better than the bargain units.