Old 03-09-18, 03:36 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Tested the Salsa Timberjack NX and GREAT $1100 bike. But I'd want a better fork, $8-900, dropper seatpost is a must so $300.

It really came down to the Kona Honzo, I'd have to build as a custom since it's mainly a 29er bike and the SC Chameleon. Both have cult like followings, showing the bike Geo works and is popular. I rode the lower grade Honza 29er alum and it was pretty sweet in a parking lot, suffered the same parts needed as the Salsa. Both are in the 67-68* head angle sweet spot that you can go slacker with 140mm fork or make it XCish with a 100mm fork. Custom ST Honzo or custom Chameleon from frame up was north of 3k. So I opted to get a R+ kitted stock bike for a small discount and roll what was saved to personalizing the fit and look.

I looked briefly at the Jamis but the reach was shorter then the other two, I'd have to get a XL and that would still seem short meaning I'd need a longer stem for cockpit room.
Large frames
Jamis Slayer Reach 440mm ETT 620mm (would have to run 70-75mm stem)
Chameleon Reach 460mm ETT 642mm (running 50mm stem)
Honzo Reach 475mm ETT 655mm (would have to run a 35mm stem)

Slayer and Chameleon has same seat angles so would climb very similar, Honzo is steeper meaning it would take a 140mm fork much easier and still climb just as nice.
@katsup good luck with the shoulder, I didn't have an option with my bone, it was broken in few places from the windshield I went thru w/ my roadie.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.