View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 10:28 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 886 Posts
I waited to take the Rambler out until the Thursday rainstorms had headed out to Massachusetts Bay to go whale watching, leaving us with wet roads and a little drizzle. When I went to air up the tires, the rear tire's valve core tried to make a run for it. By now this was a well-known, well-loved trick for Schwalbe tubes, and I not only restrained the little mechanical delinquent, but had a small valve core wrench in my pocket for just this contingency, and a tube of fluorine grease readily to hand to anoint the valve core threads.

Then it was once more onto the Minuteman; the idea was to assess the Rambler's handling--traction, braking, shifting--in wet conditions.

Traction was fine, the Pasela treads on the Soma C-Lines seemed to have plenty of grip, and I cranked along at a brisk pace without qualms. Never a hint of a skid. Braking took a bit of attention, but was manageable, the Paul Racers doing their jobs. After the first shift or two, the derailleurs shrugged off the water. No complaints about the SKS Longboard fenders, they kept water out of the machinery and off my feet.

The Minuteman was pleasantly empty for much of the ride. Wet weather is good for that, I guess. By the end of the ride, conditions were improving, and folks were coming out to try their luck.

rod
Likes For rholland1951: