View Single Post
Old 04-14-22, 07:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1399:

Kept waking up during the night due to the howling wind. At one point I got up and investigated because I thought there was a truck idling outside. Nope. Wind.

Woke up to this:

I originally was going to ride all the way to our company office this morning, and then later in the morning ride to the client location. I'm not ashamed to say I wimped out and rode directly to the client location, which was only half the distance. There wasn't anything specific I absolutely needed to be physically present at our office for anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately the ride from my house to the client was straight into the wind. It took me about 35 minutes on my road bike to go the 4.25 miles. Having commuted in South Dakota for many, many years, I've ridden in more windy days than I can count. Today was probably a top 5. At one point a gust pretty much stopped my bike dead in its tracks. I've had that happen on my slow winter bikes before, but I can't ever remember it happening on my road bike.

Temp was 25°F. With that wind I dressed for single digits and was still cold.