View Single Post
Old 10-24-22, 05:46 PM
Mhiniker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
I've been considering changing to clipless, but have held off because I'm reluctant to have to change shoes when arriving at my ride start point (which I get to by car). Nevertheless I'm still considering trying clipless. I'd be interested in hearing more specifics about your experience with your new cleats with regard to your "ease and "difference". What specifically is easier and how are they different from what you used before?

Thanks!
Consider climbing a hill...right now you're not getting anything from the neutral leg! So as you start up, you're having to completely start & stop exertion through that leg. This is something that causes the muscles to wear quicker. With cleats you can continuously work the leg through the rotation. This means instead of switching 100% to 0, left to right, it's like 65%/35%, 35%/65%. Getting more of a balance in my ride, especially while climbing hills is really proving to be more enjoyable and comfortable. The same concept applies to raising and maintaining a speed.

I as someone who has flat feet & typically wear my athletic shoes built for the flat feet with lots of extra support at the arch, feared the minimal type of shoe a cleat is by design. However I've found the required time spent in cleats, it mostly being 'on' the bicycle. the good outweighs any negatives. There are several different types of cleats, some much easier for time off the bike then others, I however try to avoid it, and while I too feared having to switch back and forth between street shoes and cleats. You only become quicker at switching between the two and it really won't seem like anything after a while.

​​​

Last edited by Mhiniker; 10-24-22 at 05:53 PM.