View Single Post
Old 09-29-22, 10:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts

Acquired! I rode it home, about 11 miles. It's set up SS, so no challenge learning fixed yet. The 25mm tires felt like riding on razer blades, after riding 32mm tires for the last few years. Fun ride though.

Gearing is 48x18 ss, 16 fixed. I think way too tall for me, around here.

Some surprisingly good things - wheels are true, BB feels good, front hub is smooth, crankset is Surly, rear hub is Surly ss/fg, front brake is 105. Downsides - rear hub is crunchy, handlebars are fugly.

I'm trying to figure out the rear hub; pretty sure it's not right. It looks like maybe a 120mm hub that's been spaced to 130mm with an axle nut?

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess the uneven spacers means the wheel is dished, right? Is this the result of converting a geared bike to ss/fixed? Sorry, being a newb, need to read more.

The free side pressed bearing is smooth, but the fixed side is trash. I don't have proper tools to service the hub, so I'll try the local bike Co op.

I'm not clear what vintage the Surly hub is yet, but it looks like I could buy the Ultra New Axle Kit at 130mm and straighten things out.

Thinking about it, is the uneven axle spacer a consequence of this being a geared bike converted to fixed? Sorry, such a newb.

Last edited by downtube42; 09-30-22 at 08:00 AM.