View Single Post
Old 07-25-22, 07:08 PM
jo_lacs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks for the suggestions, even the more expensive monetary one. A nickel was the largest coin I had in my pocket at the time.

I was literally on my ride when I wrote (still am, at a coffee stop in South Haven), so hopefully you'll understand that details were kept to a minimum. The bolt and nut are meant for the seatpost binder. I doubt a Campy style binder bolt will work (though I have a couple to try back at home). The bolt itself is your normal diameter thing, while the Campy thing is much larger diameter. Frame surgery not gonna happen.

While I ride back to the beach house I'll leave you with a puzzle too solve. I think I know why it happened, but you get to speculate wildly. I test rode the bike before coming up. Everything was fine. When I set out on my ride this morning I heard this horrible grinding from down by the bottom bracket. "Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all!" I stopped and investigated a little. If I turned the crank, it made the sound once per cycle, no matter if I spun the crank forward or backward. I peeked they the bb shell window and was reminded that I have a Tange Seiki sealed bottom bracket, so that wasn't likely to be the cause. It took a minute to figure out what the problem was. The fix was pretty trivial.

So, two questions for the assembled experts. One, what was the problem? Two, what caused it? Hint: I use a Saris Bones rack. The first to answer both questions correctly will get a small bike-related gift in the mail.
I do not consider myself an expert but here is what I think might have happened: You took your bike off the bike rack. You did not notice that the rack had somehow pulled the front derailleur-shifter cable off from the metal cable guides located on top of the bb shell. The fd cable is now hanging loosely. You tried to ride the bike but the crank caught the fd cable and wound it around the bb causing the fd to shift on it's own or become mis-aligned that it interferes with the crank causing the grinding noise.