View Single Post
Old 11-10-18, 07:54 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
What were your results? I'm pretty curious how much difference a front disc makes. Seems like everyone in Japan has one except me!
Without just giving away for free what I paid a considerable amount to find out... if you're losing timed events and get off the bike thinking "where could I have found that extra couple of seconds" then it's probably worth buying a front disc. It's in the realm of choosing a good track tyre vs. a Vittoria Speed / pink Dugast.

*Tons of caveats to my results - including as SuperD mentioned fork/wheel interaction (flat disc vs. lenticular might make more or less difference on x bike) tyre/rim interaction (the H3/Jet were clinchers... I suspect the tyres I was running on them were likely more aero than the tubular Corsa Evo's on the other wheels.

If I were making broad guesses... I'd run a disc any time it was allowed (again, talking in terms of pursuit, so not really accounting for stiffness/etc) with the narrowest super high end tyre that would fit on it. Outdoors I'd run the deepest narrowest wheel I felt comfortable on, again, with the narrowest best rolling tyre. Accounting for watts to spin make you think that'd be an H3 or possibly an H3Deep, but it's hard to measure that for sure. Outdoors the "fastest" of those wheels might change from ride to ride based on how the wind changes... lots of variables.