Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
To be clear:

I hold as Fact:
- That the Zipp 808 track front wheel is as fast and strong as any other on the market based on the data and tests that I’ve seen, including the Macic Io, HED Trispoke, and FFWD 5 Spoke. I also base this on my personal experience having owned pre-Firecrest and Firecrest 808s (front/rear) and older Mavic Io/Comete sets and used them extensively.
- That the Mavic Io is not head and shoulders above other options like it used to be when it was introduced, what, 15-20 years ago? Everyone else has simply caught up. It is bling, though
- The Io is certainly not worth $4,000 USD. Period.

I hold as Opinion:
- That the 808 track front wheel is the fastest available. That’s the wheelset I bought last season.
So here's a bit of a perhaps unanswerable question...If all other elements are equal, who makes the fastest-rolling HUBS?

The follow-up to that is, has anyone tested track hubs fairly, eliminating variables and narrowing performance down to the hubs themselves?

I now have wheels with Mavic track hubs, Zipp track hubs, DA track hubs, FFWD track hubs and Onyx track hubs...curious to know which would actually roll the best----if all other elements were equal.

I bring this up, because in my experiences with road wheels, those with DA hubs seem to roll better/faster than anything else I've owned. Not standing up for DA as the best, but sharing empirical evidence (I generally seem to coast faster than most riders around me since switching to wheels with DA hubs. I didn't change anything else, so I'm thinking the hubs must be a factor.)