View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 05:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
As difficult as it is for me to say this, I think that you all should simply consider the 2020 season a non-starter and work on 2021.

Yes, there is a chance that the turnout for 2020 Masters will be low and lower competition for medals and jerseys. But, that low turnout will also keep USA Cycling from hosting the event in the first place.

It's my understanding that hosting a national championship is expensive. Elite Nationals is run at a loss and it's Masters and Junior Nationals that are the money-makers (the profits of which cover the losses of Elites). So, if there is a hint that there will be ultra low turnout for Masters and Junior Nationals, they it stands to reason that they might bag all of the National Championships.

...and host them via Strava Roller Races

EDIT:

Also, who will want to officiate? Athletes are generally a very health-conscious group. I recently went to a running shop and it was run more cleanly than many clinics I've visited.

How many people will want to officiate when there is a deadly airborne virus active in the area and have athletes breathing all heavy on them for 5 days? ...for near minimum wage...for the love of the sport.

Further, what happens if, after contact tracing, it's revealed that someone was actively contagious during the event?

In light of all of that, and adding the fact that Track has never been a priority for USA Cycling anyway, I can't see it happening. Seriously.

Last edited by carleton; 06-05-20 at 08:47 PM.