View Single Post
Old 07-10-21, 09:05 PM
AJ1515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
"Again, I think you're way off on your weight estimate. I have a very light track bike that weighs 2 kg more than your target weight. It is a 49cm Bianchi Pista Concept that is lighter than a Dolan Pre Cursa. I know this because I also own a 45cm Dolan Pre Cursa that is heavier. I'm running lightweight carbon tubular wheels, a very light Zipp 303 in front and a Cane Creek Sprint 50 in the rear. The handlebar is a very light carbon Easton EC90 TKO. The cranks are very light Sugino 75DD. So, basically, it is about as light as a road fixed gear bike with 700c wheels can be. I mean, I certainly wish you the best in this endeavor, but unless the gravitational constant is different where you live, I seriously doubt that you will achieve your weight goal."

So now I want to know where I am off!

I, too, have a track bike around 7.6-7.7 kg. This has been weighed a handful of times at the LBS as we've transitioned it from freewheel to fixed. I built this bike up (with some help), and I have a spread sheet that lists out all of the parts of the first build--I got bored during shutdown and want to learn how to assemble and reassemble a singlespeed. The grams on the spread sheet are just about the grams on the scale.

I am using the same spread sheet for this "theoretical" climbing bike, and my math looks right. The Pre Cursa frame and fork, according to Dolan, weight around 1.6kg when you subtract the seat post. This is 650 grams less than my thicked-tubed titanium frame and the carbon fork on my real track bike. My likely-dangerous-"theoretical"-wheelset, according to the companies' specs, weighs in around 800 grams less than the Mavic Ellipses I currently run (1900 vs. 1100). Factoring in just the frame, fork, and wheels, my theoretical climbing bike is already 1.45 kg less than my real bike. And then I have a whole mess of parts that are also spec-ed lighter than what is on my 7.6 kg bike--lighter bottom bracket, lighter seat post vs seat topper, lighter cranks, lighter pedals, lighter stem, lighter bars, lighter brakes...

The big assumptions I am making are that 1_The companies specs are accurate AND 2_I am correctly understanding the specs as written, and 3_Any scales I've used are accurate. I realize none of you have my spreadsheet, but if something I've written above screams "WRONG!" I'd love to know and fix it.

Thanks, all!

AJ

Last edited by AJ1515; 07-11-21 at 05:48 AM.