Old 05-15-22, 08:21 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The seat forward on old road-bikes thread....

I am too cheap and impoverished to buy anything but old second-hand road-bikes, but I still like to ride as fast as I can, I look for tricks to increase speed, efficiency etc.. Many of the old cheap road-bikes with drop-bars have laid-back seat-tubes, so to combat this and make them more like racing bikes, I experiment with moving the seats forward. The old steel seat-posts with the separate seat-clamp on top work great for this, they can be rotated so the clamp is in front of the seat-post if need be. I have done a lot of fast miles with the yellow road-bike over the last year, but just this spring moved the seat forward as shown, and after 30 fast test-miles it seems to be in a good spot. The Fuji also feels good, and last fall I moved the seat on my 1990s Marin mountain-bike as far forward as it would go. For me the more I can get the center of my body mass over the bottom-bracket, the better the bikes feel. I also have a 1987 Schwinn Supersport I ride sometimes I am going to try this on.

Notice the seat position of my old 1970s bikes emulates the seat position of this state-of-the-art TT bike;

Last edited by beng1; 01-21-23 at 08:50 PM.