View Single Post
Old 06-25-17, 10:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The people I have talked to that have the chainglider love them.

I am not sure if the new splined sprockets are a problem with the chain glider or not. They changed the chainline with the new splined sprockets and I think some frames will not work with them. There is also an optional slim splined carrier, that might work but I don't know.

I however do not want a chainglider. My Rohloff bike is S&S coupled and I don't want to add anything that complicates packing the bike. And, I run two different chainring sizes, higher gears for use around home when the bike is not loaded down and lower gears for hauling my camping load up steep hills. The chainglider needs one chainring size.

I already have pretty good chain life. If your chainline is set up well on an IGH bike, you will have much better chain life than a derailleur bike which has a different chainline for every gear. Sheldon does not say how much it is extended further if you do this, but I am sure that is part of why my chain life is pretty good.
https://sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html
I can understand your not wanting one for the two reasons, makes sense.
re chainline, I dunno, I've always more or less had pretty good chainlines using triples, with only using top half or less of cassette with large chainring, the main chunk of middle of casstte with mid ring, and the lower half with the small chainring.
I generally get a good 5000kms 3000miles out of my chains, but riding in mostly good conditions, not a lot of dirt/rain combo.

I very much see how a chain protector thingee would be really nice if you knew you'd be on dirt with rain a lot, it would just eliminate all the gunk ending up on your drivetrain.