Old 12-15-22, 02:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Was the serious crash early in the ride (I believe we were still on Aviation Hwy) caused by someone clipping a Safety Patrol motorcycle parked mostly on the shoulder? I was riding alongside the guy who hit it and was very nearly taken out myself...

Thanks for doing Bike Patrol. I very much respect anyone who takes on that responsibility.
I can't really give out much in terms of details, but it was on Golf Links just east of Swan early in the 102. I followed the Platinum riders out at the start, watched nearly everyone pass me on Aviation , and then rolled up on the incident.

I don't mind doing Bike Patrol - I like to help (said in my best Eek the Cat). There are bad times (staying focused at severe medical incidents) and good times, such as the comely gaggle of women who pledged their undying love when I fixed one of their cleats. And I've found most riders I help are very appreciative, including the guy I gave the spare tire to who was able to complete his ride, in spite of the fact it was a (egads!) 20 mm width.

Edit: I want to add something here to clarify. I wasn't one of the 5-6 initial riders who stopped their 102-mile ride while time was running to stay with the victim and take turns performing CPR until Tucson Fire EMS arrived. They didn't have to - but they did, and then were able to continue their ride after their quiet heroism. Because of their efforts and those of others, my role was to act as the onscene event liaison, as all other critical activities I would ordinarily have to deal with (traffic control, first aid, agency communication) were being ably handled by others. But even though it was good that there was so much help available, I still needed to check and verify someone was handling these items - and thank them if and when I could.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 12-15-22 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur: