Old 05-01-17, 10:08 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by warx
I am learning that [again old dog, simpler tricks] but at least I saved some money for my "pat on the back" number
I will say it is much more work to interpolate effort/work onto a once-per-second speed delta and then factor in the whole ^3 air resistance thing. And yes, I'll prolly just be lazy and look at the power plot.

Maybe power meters are really only for the domain of training in zones. I do know precisely how many beer calories I am allowed each day though.
Don't dis yourself. Pat on the back numbers are great. They help measure progress (or regress). I think the key is to know what the metrics mean, why they are important, and what metrics aren't.

Also, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, it does not make a sound

...meaning, if we don't analyze the data, then there is no data and the money spent on the metering equipment is wasted.

Which reminds me of a guy that had a power meter on his road bike. He rode/raced it several days weekly but never even downloaded the data. He pretty much just used it as a clock to let him know when it was time to turn around and head back home He bought it because everyone (and marketing) told him he should have it.

edit:

The thing is, most people don't need a power meter even if they analyze the data. 99.9% of power analysis is looking at the charts and saying, "Yup...that's what happened. That's where the wheels fell off." You already know what happened.

Also, the metric no one wants to talk about is Power/Weight. Power is sexy. Power/Weight is... let's change the subject

Last edited by carleton; 05-01-17 at 10:15 AM.