View Single Post
Old 05-06-20, 08:52 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Took the Rawland on a 10-mile loop up through Arlington, Medford, and Winchester, up the Mystic Valley Parkway along the Mystic River, the Mystic Lakes, and the Aberjona, then climbing into the Fells; at some point the name changes to South Border Road, and trail heads and fire roads suggest other rides on other bikes, but I turned onto Governors Ave. for a step descent, then picked up High Street for another hill to climb, crossing the tracks in West Medford to pedal home on Harvard Street.

Looking across the Upper Mystic Lake from the Mystic Valley Parkway.

Continuing up the Aberjona towards Winchester Center.

Winchester: gingerbread and a cupola as the Mystic Valley Parkway starts to climb up into the Fells.

Into the Fells, and the initial climb gives way to a series of rolling hills.

The top end of Governors Avenue is unprepossessing, but what unfolds is a staged descent on an avenue with aisles of mature trees and lovely old houses in a variety of styles, a record of local history if one could read it. Down I went, rolling fast on smooth pavement and no traffic. Too much fun to stop and take photos.

As I headed up High Street, an awkward shift resulted in my chain folding back and catching a link in the front derailleur cage. It never did that before. After a little inspection, and some gentle trial-and-error, I tried putting a little counter-clockwise torque on the non-drive-side pedal, and that freed the chain. I resumed riding the bike, and was pleased that I was able to perform the High Street climb and descent with no drive train malarky. I rolled home without further incident.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-07-20 at 10:48 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: