Old 07-18-21, 07:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by apkramer2021
As always, this community delivers!! This is super helpful.

My inclination is that I will try to have one of the LBS's in Astoria order in a Disc Trucker (hoping all works re supply!). And then will take the Amtrak bus from Portland (or Uber depending).

I think the tip to do even a bit of riding on it before setting off is really smart, I'll probably give myself a day in Astoria riding on the new bike before setting off in case there's anything that needs to be adjusted.

Unfortunately given the timing (and travel I'm doing before starting), it won't be possible to do much more riding on it beforehand.
It is possible that everything will work out great. But, fitting a front rack to a disc brake bike can be a finicky thing. And depending on which bike, rear racks, same thing. If you are picking up the bike from Astoria (it is a big "if" on whether or not the bike shop can find your frame size in stock somewhere), the bike shop probably should suggest the racks based on their experience with fitting racks to the bike.

You are pushing the envelope, there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong.

What panniers are you fitting to the bike?

Handlebar bag or not?

What pedals do you want to use?

Do you have a saddle that you like?
Likes For Tourist in MSN: