View Single Post
Old 07-23-21, 09:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Some of comments, no recommendation. One - there are so many different seats that it is a near given that the seat that fits your butt perfectly (when set up to the proper location and tilt) is out there. Just () a matter of finding it.

Good bike shops get this and will allow trying seats until you find one that works or giving you store credit if you go elsewhere. A shop in Portland takes it a step further. They have a "saddle library". About 25 different seats on the shelves. You buy a library card for $25 and get to take out any seat for a week at a time, as many different seats as you want. Find one and they will sell you a new, boxed one and refund your $25.

Just as much as "the seat", tilt is critical. I am a huge fan of 2-bolt seatposts. (The Nittos and Thompsons have excellent clamps. Thompson will sell its clamp hardware to framebuilders; meaning any setback or design can be made as a 2-bolt. (Yes, $$s. I have 2 absurdly expensive custom posts that allow a conventional seat location with the clamps sitting centered on the seat rails on bikes with very steep seat tubes. Both have the Thompson clamps and are a joy to adjust.) 2-bolt posts allow systematically adjusting seat tilt on the road with no measuring tools. Seat nose too high? Stop, loosen the rear bolt, tweak the front 1/8 of a turn, re-tighten the rear and go. Not right? You can go back exactly to where you started, 1/2 way, go further, etc.

Lastly, there is little correlation between price and shape. Shape is what your butt sees.. Now, once you have the shape right, nicer padding, fabric, rails, light weight, etc. is very nice. Real life example: My butt changed in my 40s. I used to race the Selle Italia seats that were made under many different brand names, (Avocet !! and !!!, Peugeot, etc.) Loved them and had many thousands of miles on them; until I changed. Riding fell off a lot until I had hernia surgery and realized I needed to get on the trainer to do easy recovery for the surgery. But I also knew the trainer is a harsher platform seat-wise than riding the road, Went to the local shop. Saw the Specialized Body Geometry Comp with its full length groove and cutaway tail. Bought the cheapest one, the heavily padded beginner's model and last year's at that. Breakthrough!!!! (Once I was on the road again, I bought the high end one for my good bike and put the cheapie on my commuter where it served for 15 years.) My commuters still use the Specialized seats but for my good bikes I ride the Terry Flys with the cutouts. They take me back to to old days when I could ride the Selle Italias I loved so much. The Flys are very similar except for the cutout, allow all my old positions (I've always used ever inch of any saddle that allowed it. But that cheap Specialized seat started it all for me.
Likes For 79pmooney: