Old 07-23-21, 05:10 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Thanks for the responses so far. I do have two-bolt seat posts and have tried adjusting tilt. I find I have the conventional trade-off often noted here -- if I tilt it a bit forward, there definitely is less perineum pressure, but then I do feel more like I'm being pushed forward, and my hands and wrists feel more of it. If I tilt it a bit backward, I feel more pressure, but with less on my arms and hands. Maybe an ever-so-slight forward tilt is just what my lower anatomy needs, and I need to figure out the cockpit comfort...? That may be something for me to go back and try again -- a slight forward cant on the saddle.

I figured clothes with padding would be sort of like soft saddles -- it'd just put pressure in some of the softer tissues. I should probably try some, though. I truly am ignorant in that area.

I have not consulted a doctor about this. I don't have any other side effects or concerns about comfort of "performance" in this region. A doctor's opinion probably isn't a bad idea, but I figured that since the numbness is directly related to time on a bike saddle, that I'm just missing something with my fit...whether it be saddle type, shape, width, angle...or lack of good cycling shorts/padding...etc.
Some cycling apparel companies make different grades of synthetic chamois pads. I use Voler and their lime green colored pad (I will have to look up the name of it - I think it might be the "orion" pad) is their denser one that compresses less. Firm but not painful and helps me for sure since I like to move around on my saddle (front to back).

Sounds like dead level is going to be the most neutral position for you.

Also, if there are any gym type workouts you can add to enhance your core , add them ! I had a terrible sebaceous cyst in that was swollen, hard and bleeding last year right under where I sit on the tip of the saddle and it caused the end of last season to just fizzle out on my total mileage it was so painful.

I got it to heal over the winter but now am convinced that during last year I stayed away from the gym due to covid, and did not work my abs much. I thought I could ride my way into fitness but the truth of the matter is that it is really a slow process riding yourself to fitness if you are a bit out of shape. supplementing it for me makes things tighten up in comfortable ways where you suddenly don't feel the pressure (in the perineum).

Be aware too that if you are feeling that much pressure in your perineum, pay attention too it. It is likely that you are experiencing undue compression in that region. It is not imaginary. I would suggest in addition to your quest for the ideal saddle that you optimize all 3 pressure points (the saddle is just one of them). Are your feet/socks/shoes up to snuff? What about your arms/forearms/hand grasp on the bars? Can you climb out of the saddle much? If the answer is "not so much" maybe strategize a training goal for yourself to get better in some of these areas. Not trying to preach to you since I struggle with these things. I just have a hunch (really more than a hunch, actual first hand anecdotal experience) of how some of these things can make a big, big difference.
Likes For masi61: