View Single Post
Old 05-16-21, 11:24 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have not had any instance to this point where I have had to put in a tube, but my understanding is that any tubeless is less than pleasurable trying to put a tube in. I understand that if you remove the strips, Bontrager recommends to replace them. However, I have also been told that people have removed them a couple of times and reused without complaint. I thought about that before and wondered if tape would be a better solution, but again, until I come across that bridge, I am not too worried about it. The strips are working perfectly for me.
Gotcha! Thanks much for the info. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Chandne
I have only used tubeless 7-8 times and am getting ready to do so again with my new Easton rims once my wheels are rebuilt (CK R45 hubs). I have never had to install a tube though I had one puncture on the fragile Schwalbe Pro Ones. That one puncture sealed itself. I always carry an extra tube even on my MTB rides (plus Dynaplugs whenever tubeless).

I use both Chris King and DT 240 hubs. The latter is easier to maintain with no specialized tools (if you do your own maintenance) but I have a slight preference for the sound of the Chris Kings and they feel more solid when pedaling due to the engagement. They are no more solid than the DTs but it just feels that way. I am not an Onyx user so I tend to stick with the CKs or DTs. I also like colors so Chris Kings give me that option.
Thanks. My fascination with hubs has grown faster these past few weeks than probably anything else bike related. Don't know why. Will need to dig a bit deeper to find out a bit more about them and what differences can be found between brands.

Originally Posted by robbyville
ive put in a tube roadside a couple of times over the last 7 years of being tubeless. I installed normally, just removing the valve but left my tubeless Tim strip in place
Oh, okay. Thanks for sharing. Was it more difficult or time consuming than replacing a regular tube without the TLR strip? In other words, did the thickness of that strip somehow make it more difficult to install? Or, outside of removing the valve, did it feel like a "normal" tube replacement? And what tires do you use?