Old 09-03-13, 02:32 AM
Thrasymachus
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Yip812:
No the point of this thread was not: "I have a bike that I'm happy with." Forums are not about making people happy and can't. You posted a thread about the Murray you have been working on looking for advice or feedback and I gave mine, which you didn't like.

@the too many weirdos on bikeforums:
Department store bikes are not made to last. In this country actually most the population(more than don't) have bicycles, usually cheap department store fare, but if you go outside in everywhere but the densest areas it is a bike desert, you can go very far without seeing a single bicycle used. This is why bikes like this Murray exist and are so popular in the USA. Most bicycles are garage queens that are barely ridden and dry-rot and rust to pieces before seeing any significant mileage. That is the market that department store bikes are made to cater to. I doubt in the Netherlands where the bicycle is seen as more than a toy, that they have a market for crap like the Murray being talked up in this thread, because people there actually care about bikes, will invest money in them and see them as more than toys that will mostly fall to pieces in storage.

Department store bicycles are the disposable razors of bikes. Advising someone to invest in or ride one till it falls apart is the same as some weirdo advising someone to be amazingly frugal and try to sharpen and use a disposable razor for years and years instead of buying a new or used quality straight edge razor that was actually made to last for years. If you had money why would you sharpen a disposable razor? It is the same with trying to do something with this Murray. Infact if that Murray was not wasting in storage for who knows how many years, till it ended up in the hands of the original poster, it would have already fell apart and been landfilled. There are plenty of older surplus bicycles from reputable brands built to last out there that have similar garage queen vintage as the Murray in question, which while harder to get for free, can often be had for very cheap. Actually a forumer here has an excellent page about obtaining for free or very cheap, these vintage bicycles and restoring them called my My Ten Speeds.

@Shahmatt:
You are wasting your time. In general there are many people that need help in the USA, where most the posters here are from:
Originally Posted by National Institute of Mental Health
The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America
Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.1 When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.2
I already have many of the busy-bodies and easily offended grandmothers trapped in the bodies of men that abound on bikeforums following me around to essentially say they don't like me or my posts. It seems like speaking honestly and not saying what you think you want others to hear, greatly offends most these days.

Last edited by Thrasymachus; 09-03-13 at 02:56 AM.