View Single Post
Old 01-29-21, 09:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
To somewhat answer Eric's question better here's the path I have decided on WRT chainstay/tire/ring clearances.

Some backround though for those late to this build. I have wanted to do a MtB frame for myself for decades. This build is carrying all those years of dreams on it... Started a couple of years ago for real. Thought I would want a 3"+ tire, 27.5 as I'm not tall and like a quicker steering bike then some. So i got a Paragon yoke MS2060 - Steel Chainstay Yoke for 3" tire (paragonmachineworks.com) but ended up deciding that 3" tires were just too much and after getting the yoke welded shut moved on from it in the design. After a few months of wrapping my head around the issue decided to scallop out the chain stays and braze in a plate.

I have just finished the torch work today. Had to reduce the stay diameter by about half so went with a fairly thick plate to compensate. I am aiming for about 10mm of side clearance at the tire knob's top edge (it's a fairly square edged profile) and more directly above the center.

I have a lot of plate material removal ahead that will happen in stages soon. The chain ring clearance will have to be visited. The intended crankset has been measured and with no dimpling it will be close. Dimpling should be easy after this step's work though.

The garage is really cold and I've been delaying the mitering of the TT and DT on the mill. So to the chain stays will likely wait their BB ends miter. Andy