View Single Post
Old 01-31-21, 12:08 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
I thought that it would be a few days before I had the house to myself and I could make the noise that finishing off the chainstays will produce. But the wife changed plans and I had almost 3 hours of "safe" time as she was out running errands. I had done the brazing yesterday. I tacked the loop shaped plate in place on both stays and then cut the stays apart. I hack sawed off as much of the excess plate, then ground the plate's edge down near flush with the stay, first with a rough wheel then a fine one. Next came the 14" ba st erd then the 6" one. I did use my electric belt sander out of motivation from watching Paul Brodie's vids.

This shows the plate tacked in place. Two tacks along both sides (or the top and bottom of the stay), one pair are in view.

Plates brazed up and finishing starts. Top stay has had initial grinding on rough wheel. Bottom one is after the hack saw work. They get hot during the grinding so I alternate between the two stays.

The mock up after finishing the stays. Depending on actual stay end/BB shell placements I should have about 8mm of gap either side, that's what is showing here.

The finished for now stays. I'll do a bit more detail filing and sanding but not much.

Next up is the seat tube/BB shell joint. I found out that the shell I planned on using has buggered up threads. I suspect it may have been from a privet sale and part of a bunch of parts. Either way I ordered one (actually two) from Paragon and will wait till they come. I can prep the seat tube by then. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 01-31-21 at 12:13 AM.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart: