View Single Post
Old 06-09-18, 11:31 AM
Locobikeguide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More comments.

I currently weigh 232 pounds and have ridden over 7000 miles each of the last 6 years. I ride all the local climbs in northern Colorado many of which include short segments over 15% grade. My 2012 Fugi Gran Fondo has over 36000 miles and the frame is still going strong. I am on the third crankset (spiral fracture of spindle strarts at pinch bolt) fourth rear wheel (rim crack of drive side spokes) and second front wheel. Spokes break when the spoke tension is too low and goes to zero as your weight and pot holes / bumps in road flex the wheel. Rims crack when the spoke tension is too high as your weight, drive forces and pot holes / bumps put extra tension on the rim. Higher spoke tension and heavier aero shaped wheels and higher spoke count all contribute to reduced spoke breakage. I have a 1997 mavic 32 spoke cxp 30 wheel set that currently has over 50000 miles and remains true with no broken spokes or spoke adjustments ever. Higher spoke count, heavier aero shaped wheels, spoke eyelets, and lower spoke tension reduce rim cracking. The vast majority of wheels sold with bikes and after market wheel sets are not suitable for long mileage training use by heavier riders on rough mountain roads. Custom order 32 or 36 spoke aero shaped wheels if you want to stop having wheel failures.