Old 02-09-21, 06:30 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Your pump might have a rocker that’s sticking if it’s the type that has a hole for each valve. If it won’t pump the Presta side, stick the Presta valve cap in the schraeder side to release
My rear tire was really, really spongy on the way home from work. When I got back to the garage I tried the pump again and it still wouldn't work. I tried it on multiple bikes (presta and schraeder) and nothing. Then I tried pumping it by itself (not connected to anything) and the handle wouldn't depress. It felt like I was compressing air, but no air was coming out of the end.

I've had this pump for 12 years and decided that maybe it finally bit the dust. I brought it inside and looked up hours on bike shops. There was one that open until 9 PM, so I decided after I ate supper and did a video conference with my son's teacher I would run and buy a new pump. My rear tire wasn't going to make another trip to work without some air.

After a couple of hours I walked by the pump sitting there and on a whim gave it a push. I could hear air coming out again. I took it out to the garage and pumped up the tire just fine.

I'm thinking there was a little moisture inside the pump and in the extreme temps it froze and rendered the pump unusable until I brought it inside to thaw out? In any event, I'm going to test it when I go out to the garage this morning and see if it's stuck again. I may just have to start keeping it inside the house when the temps are below zero.