View Single Post
Old 04-12-17, 01:33 PM
late

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10354 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post

I've been doing some research on a build, feel free to critique. Still confused on a few things, especially what kind of tower I really need. Below is what I've come up with so far minus a few obvious things like memory. Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Intel Core i5-7600K $240

Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower $70

Z170I Gaming Pro ITX motherboard $160

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB $50

Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W $120

MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-E Video $300

Total $620 and counting...
Newegg has a power supply calculator, it's extremely conservative, so you could add on to the build later without giving it a second thought. I had to guess on some of the parts, but a 400 watt PSU would be adequate, but a 500 watt would let you add a lot more stuff. I just got a 750 because I expect to do SLI, and I kinda overcooked my last one. 850 is overkill. This is what I got.. Corsair RM750x Gold. Which is also pretty much overkill. Don't go over 600.

The mobo is where you have to pay attention to the details. Why put a mini-ITX in a mid-tower?? You will have more choices in the standard size, and it's less likely you will have problems. I don't think ASUS is what it used to be. I got a very expensive mobo from them, and it didn't last 2 years. I recently got a video card from them and it didn't last a week (although that may have been my fault, old power supply).

I like Gigabyte now. I plan on getting one of their GA-270 boards. If you want to keep SLI as a possibility you have to pick Nvidia or AMDs Crossfire. If you're getting that 7600K, you will want a good heatsink. That can be a problem with a mini-IX. It is sometimes a problem with the really big boards. But you'll be fine with an ATX.

Here's one in the good but cheap category..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You didn't talk ram. I'm a big fan of 32, but 16 is fine. I am told Corsair is the way to go, but truthfully, I've not yet bought ram from them. There isn't much to be gained from super fast ram, not that you save much getting slower.

You didn't mention a SSD, I got one a year ago. It's definitely faster than a HD, not as big a difference as I was hoping, but I am planning on getting another one when I get off the fence.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE...ding=UTF8&th=1

Here are some ideas on cases..
The Tech Report System Guide: March 2017 edition - The Tech Report - Page 7

Personally, I like Lian Li cases. They make Alu cases that are light. Their entry level case is pretty basic, but it's not terribly expensive, and it makes the thing a lot easier to schlepp around.
https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-A0...ywords=lian+li

Unlike the other guys, I think the 7600K is an excellent choice.

Bon chance, mon ami.