Old 08-16-20, 06:46 PM
Super D

Bikes: C'dale Road, Giant TT, DF Track, DB MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
I've just had two seasons running of my best times in my life of 200's, and I'm more convinced than ever that doing a fast 200 is voodoo.

This year I'm severely underdone (in terms of training depth) yet still managed to get a time that I would have killed for a few years ago, and with a slightly better execution may have even PB'ed.

Some observations:
1. Big gears work. It may take a couple of years of struggle with them for it to pay off.
2. You have to start big gears a lot earlier, so get used to jumping at the rail in the corner (T1 if it's a 333). I start all my warm up jumps (regardless of gear) at the jump point I use on a race gear.
3. You have to really ninja up on your jump and learn to expend as little energy as possible, and I think I'm going slower than before on my final windup lap.
4. Ramping up into a jump doesn't really work for me. I have to smack it as hard as possible right at the jump point, like a standing start.
5. It's really tricky.
Any tips/fundamental truths for finding one's preferred gear-inches?

I'm starting to realize that while I can spin 120-135+ (not fast, I know, but relatively fast for me, haha), I'm faster in the 200 in the 115-118 rpm range, so for lack of other influences, I'm starting to focus on gearing that puts me in that cadence range. Then, as I get stronger, instead of spinning faster, I'll increase gear-inches and stay in that general range. I know that cadence is a personal thing---and I'm very inexperienced, so I'm taking any of my own findings/beliefs with a healthy grain of salt.