View Single Post
Old 04-16-22, 06:52 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I agree with you that I'm not special with dogs. I'm simply doing things I've learned living with dogs.

Besides, I'm only advising prevention, avoiding attention of dogs. I'm not telling anyone to abandon their preferred course of action if they believe they are being targetted by a dog for attack. I'm not telling anyone to stop using mace or don't sprint for it or steer towards the dog. I love dogs, owned a few so far, all of them adopted but would still value human life above dogs.

It's the owners job to protect their dogs by active intervention and good training, not yours, nor mine.
You can definitely reduce some dog bad behavior by being more assertive and less fearful. I ride a good bit with my wife. She worries about dogs and gets chased a lot more than I do. I can often shout at one and turn him around where she wouldn't have any authority in her voice if she tried to do the same. Most dogs are just chasers and yappers. Like I said before, I worry more about my wife hurting herself trying to get away from those chasers and yappers than from an attack. However, every now and then a you encounter a dog determined to attack and bite rather than just chase and bark. Those dogs don't care how assertive you are, or if you yell, or squirt them with a water bottle. I had one that just ran at me harder and more vicious after a face full of HALT. Somebody in my neighborhood killed that dog not long after that incident. It wasn't me, but I certainly sympathize with whoever did it.

If I encounter a truly vicious dog, I get off my bike and get it between me and the dog to use as a shield. I will use my pepper spray on one of those and I have lethal backup just incase.