Old 04-15-21, 08:01 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
These two disciplines are polar opposites.

Maybe we interpret the styles of riding differently? I honestly don't see much difference between the two. I ride gravel in the spring and summer and hop in a few 'cross races in the fall. I would recommend 'cross to anyone who loves gravel. If your region has a decent scene weekend races throughout the fall are super accessible. They are mini gravel races. Genius. I would hate for anyone that buys a "gravel" bike to think they are not well equipped enough or welcome to participated in a CX race (mini gravel race).

Here is a practice lap of a race I participated in this fall. I absolutely love riding gravel, and this felt like a mini gravel race, sure it gets technical but hey it's fun! :

Cross bikes are generally very racy and stripped down with twitchy handling and aggressive positions. Gravel bikes are generally touring-bike relaxed, have tons of bosses for mounting stuff, have much more stability and offer more upright positions. Why? People say this all the time and I don't get it.

Just a few years ago DK was raced by professionals on TCX's and Super X's, - as well as years and years before. Only recently have people been riding bikes marketed as "gravel". This fall professionals raced 'cross on the Cervelo Aspero.

No one truly "needs" to have a hyper-specialized bike for every purpose, but whats wrong with more options? I'd argue that we live in a golden age where bikes tuned for specific uses that would have required a custom build a few years ago are now widely available. This is great.
Hey, I get it. My TCX has an Apex 1x group with a 40t and an 11-42. More of a "gravel" groupset than 'cross. I run 700x45 WTB Riddlers. I love options. I hate the industry selling us the idea that a bike is for one specific purpose. It's not inclusive telling someone that has a 'cross bike that it's not good enough for gravel, and same goes for someone with a gravel bike that is interested in 'cross.

But hey, bike brands need to make money and a great way they do that is telling you that your bike is not good enough.

Last edited by Hmmm; 04-15-21 at 08:12 AM.