View Single Post
Old 10-20-14, 11:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrim
...This morning's chill had me thinking about the months to come. This is my first year actively cycling since moving out here from an area without winter eight years ago. I don't want to stop, since I'm having too much fun right now. What do you guys do for tires? I'm not looking to bike to work in a snowstorm (I'd feel even less safe if the cars around me had even less control than usual), but something with additional traction might be helpful. I was curious about what other people here do.
For my urban commute on well-tended major roads I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires and use them continuously and exclusively from December to April.

I recently re-posted a reply to this Winter Cycling thread, “Who's ready for another long cold miserable winter?”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…In December, the carbon fiber bike comes out of service, and studded tires go on the mountain bike for the entire winter. I have Schwalbe Marathons and they ride well on dry pavement, and are excellent for ice, hardpack, and new snow up to about three inches on my well-tended roads for my commute. The studs are still good after about six years of service on mostly wet and dry roads. As a commuter, it's too much of a hassle to change tires for daily road conditions….[/i]
I was particularly convinced by this post years ago by tsl of Rochester, NY:

Originally Posted by tsl
I dunno, maybe it's my age showing. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get salted away.

I figure gunk washes off quickly and easily. Broken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend.